Sunday 20 April 2014

Chosen Ones by Tiffany Truitt - Review

Title:       Chosen Ones
Series:     The Lost Souls
#:                1
Author:    Tiffany Truitt


Life is bleak but uncomplicated for sixteen-year-old Tess, living in a not-too-distant future where the government, faced with humanity's extinction, created the Chosen Ones, artificial beings who are extraordinarily beautiful, unbelievably strong, and unabashedly deadly. 

When Tess begins work at Templeton, a Chosen Ones training facility, she meets James, and the attraction is immediate in its intensity, overwhelming in its danger. But there is more to Templeton than Tess ever knew. Can she stand against her oppressors, even if it means giving up the only happiness in her life?








Ever wondered what happens in a world created by scientists? A world we weren't allowed to live in?

Tiffany Truitt has created a world, in the not too distant future, where the people are split into Chosen Ones, Naturals and Creators. Where nothing is as it seems until you peel away all the lies and propaganda of the government and learn the truth.

This book had a confusing beginning and I found it really hard to focus to understand what Tess was trying to tell us about The Chosen Ones, the Naturals and the Creators and how all of this world came to be. But at the same time I was intrigued with the death of Emma and why. The way the people lived. And I had to know more.

But with each thing I learned I was worried and disgusted. Finding out about the laws and how 'society' worked in this book I kept worrying for Tess. Not wanting anything bad to happen to her. 

There are lots of questions in this book, I did keep taking breaks from reading to let things sink in. 
What makes us human? 
Who gets a soul? 
Why is it bad to Want?
So many hard questions for such young people to think about! I admit I had never thought about these things myself. Until now.

Here are some quotes out of the book that I just felt that I had to highlight while I was reading. So here they are to share with you.

"Sometimes I thought the only way we could remind ourselves we were alive was to experience these moments of death."
"I was sort of impressed I knew what a lamp was. I must have come across a picture of one in a book when I'd still been allowed to read."
"That night I dreamed of everything I was afraid of. I was alone with the boy from the piano room. But we weren't playing the piano. He reached for my hand, and I let him. I just allowed myself to feel his skin against mine.
It was a nightmare."
"Maybe he didn't have a soul. but maybe something else made one a human. Maybe us naturals had forgotten what it meant to be one. but this boy, with his questions and insecurities, seemed more human than was possible.
And it was beautiful."

A beautifully written novel about humanity, what makes us who we are, and is it ok to be what and who we are.





Still to come



4 comments:

  1. I think i've seen this one around before. I like books that talk about humanity, so I'll keep this on my radar.

    Lovely review! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a bit older, and the series is about to be complete at the end of this month, perfect time to read them all at once :)

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to read this one for ages! I love books that make you think, especially when it's about humanity and what makes us human. It sounds like a shocking futuristic with the government though. I'll have to get to this one soon ,glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do read, I really enjoyed the series, and think more people should read them.

      Delete