Saturday 1 March 2014

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

Title:           The Fault In Our Stars
Author:       John Green



Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.













Ok now that I have stopped crying and don't tear up anytime I think of this book I think I might be able to get through writing a review.

OK ok, where to start? I had an idea of what this book was about before I read it. I've seen this book and it's reviews floating around blogville for quite a while now. I knew it was going to be sad, that I'd need a box of tissues to get through it. I knew it was about teens with cancer and that I shouldn't get attached to the characters, but of course I did! because John Green knew what he was doing when he wrote this book. Hazel and Augustus are going to be with me forever.

“I'm a grenade and at some point I'm going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?” 

So I gave in to reading this book because it was everywhere, and I am glad I did, it is a sad but heartwarming story of teenage love and life. Hazel is prompted by her mother to attend a Cancer support group for children because her mother thinks she's depressed so she concedes and winds up meeting Augustus Waters who becomes more to Hazel than she would like to admit to because of her cancer.

You can't help but like the characters in this book, from our main characters or trophy smashing egg throwing Isaac and even Lidewij Vliegenthat. Each is given a role to remember and to attach to.

I liked the way this was written, easy to read and connect to, although, well I never used this level of intellect when talking with my friends when I was a teenager, or even now that I am older, does anybody really speak like this?

“You are so busy being YOU that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented you are.” 

Oh there are many more lines to quote. All very advanced, big words and all.

But overall it was a fantastic read that I would recommend everyone read (I've already made one person read it, I'll get you too)


And incase you did't know this book has been made into a movie that will be in cinemas on June 5th in Australia. With Ansel Elgort and Shailene Woodly as Augustus and Hazel.


That leaves everyone plenty of time to restock the tissues!










4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment