Thursday 5 June 2014

City Of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare ~ Review

Title:                City Of Heavenly Fire
Series:              The Mortal Instruments
#:                     6
Author:            Cassandra Clare
Publisher:        Walker Books
Date:               27 May 2014



ΕRCHOMAI, SEBASTIAN HAD SAID. 

I am coming.

Darkness returns to the Shadowhunter world. As their society falls apart around them, Clary, Jace, Simon and their friends must band together to fight the greatest evil the Nephilim have ever faced: Clary’s own brother. Nothing in the world can defeat him — must they journey to another world to find the chance?





Review may be a little ranty?



That was the longest epilogue ever!

So I just finished this book, which could have been so much shorter. Not just the epilogue. Right from the beginning I was confused. OK so I didn't recall the previous books endings because I read them so long ago and refused to reread them because I was a little over the drama in them. But eventually it all came back to me.

So the first chapter in this book is told from someone else's point of view, not Clary's or Jace's or even Simon's, but Emma's. Who? That's right we're getting you ready to read the next series already. The Dark Artifices, which stars Emma! Not only was it someone else it was too long and drawn out so straight away I was bored and confused.

But it's not only from Emma's point of view, it's also Clary, Jace, Maia, Simon, Alec, Magnus, well everybody's. And this resulted in me knowing everything, the whole way through, there was no suspense (pages it took to get to the end doesn't count). No mystery.

200 page Prolgue/introduction, 200 page epilogue, some story in there....
Don't get me wrong.
I do love the story(that was hidden away in there), I thought it was a fitting end. But I had to force myself to keep reading through it all just so I could find out what happens with Sebastian.
It's just everything else that I had a problem with in this book.

Now lets discuss the epilogue. It started way before the book said the word. As soon as we come back from battle the author is finishing things up and making them pretty. Not everything has to be tied up with a neat bow. And. It's. so. Drawn. Out. And. Takes. Forever. Ok so 200 pages may have been an exaggeration but not by much. A lot of things in this book I found pointless.

No Feels

Not to mention I haven't read The Infernal Devices, but I know we are getting many references towards those books. Do I want to read them now? No, sorry.

I couldn't decide whether it was a two or three stars, so because I had so many negatives, and forced myself to read through it all I am opting for the lower number today.


2 comments:

  1. I haven't picked this one up yet, but have been waiting since book five to see what happens, but I'm so disappointed that she's used it as a platform to introduce her new series. I really didn't like the Infernal Devices and didn't read beyond book one, so I doubt I'll understand any of the references either. I'm so sorry you waited so long to read it and you couldn't enjoy it. I'm really hesitant to read it now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was disappointing indeed, for me, but with saying that there are so many people loving this book, I am seeing many five star reviews out there, so don't let me hold you back.

      Delete