Monday 9 June 2014

Tigers On The Beach by Doug MacLeod ~ Review

Title:                 Tigers On The Beach
Author:             Doug MacLeod
Publisher:         Penguin Australia
Date:                01 March 2014

Have you heard the one about the guy who lost a grandfather, but found a girlfriend? It's funny. It's also kind of sad. And some of the bits that are sad are also kind of funny (but only if you laugh at that sort of thing).


Adam thinks Samantha could be the one for him. But first he has to sort out his parents' crumbling marriage, stop getting into embarrassing situations involving public nudity, find out what's making his gran so angry, stop his little brother doing something really, really dangerous and work out what's so funny about two tigers on a beach. It can't be that hard, can it?





A quick enjoyable read.

Just in case you were wondering, this book is not about Tigers.
"A novel about how comedy unites us and divides us"
I wasn't sure what year this was set, some of the story reminded me of the 70's or 80's then it referred to present tense technology. While I was reading this book the scenes kept flipping by as if I was watching an old comedy sit com on tv.

I did find myself laughing with the book, it did have some good jokes and a few funny moments. The  jokes were trying to lighten the mood of how serious this book was. Some of the topics in this book are very strong after all; parents fighting, family deaths and how people cope differently, and Aspergers syndrome.
That is the question here, when is it ok to have a laugh and not be so serious.
     Apparently I don't think it's ok to make light of them, so that is why this book and I didn't hit it off, we got along ok, but we're not going to jump into each others arms again in a hurry.





2 comments:

  1. Loving the cover! Even if it's not about tigers. ;) Shame it didn't actually say when it was set, I hate when it does that, especially when it's written and spoken a certain way, it get's confusing. And yeah, those things shouldn't be taken lightly, I get why the books trying to make things lighter, so people aren't afraid to ask or say things, but still. :/


    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, the cover could have fooled me! I love the quote you provided, it seems to sum up the story very nicely. Sorry this one didn't click you perfectly, but I'm definitely intrigued and would love to check the book out!

    ReplyDelete